Thursday, May 29, 2008

Grow where you are planted

So to be honest, I'm having a little trouble focusing. Not just on my weekly political process actions but also on my general subjects and topics of my given interests and energies. One day I want to change the world through summer camp, the next I want to go back to school for public policy...the next, I want to fix all suburban problems or public transportation in South Western Ontario and the GTA. For those who know me (and who are guilted into reading this blog), my "all over the mapness" does not surprise. I will say though, I have been feeling rather excitingly aimless since September 2008. Ahhhh grad school. A place where I have yet to learn how to turn learning off, but can't seem to focus long enough to pick ONE thesis topic that will be my blood, sweat and tears for the next year of my life. ADD. Aimless Dissertation Denial. Alas, a few things are in common with all my interests however...I want to change the world NOW, I always feel as though I'm not doing enough and I want to improve the quality peoples' lives.

May.

Information Exchanging. iPod style.

I'll try to be discrete here - but my new boss rules. He's pretty much the best thing going since hypo-coloured t.shirts (ha!). I have been finding my new work environment exciting, challenging, comfortable and inclusionary. I'm not sure how many other people can say that 3 weeks into a new job and working environment. What I seem to like most about work, other than the work itself, is the information exchange that goes on with our office. Watercooler talk around issues facing our world on micro and macro levels, from the environment, to the war to websites and companies that are 'out there' doing their thing, and finding a following. And here is the lastest - passing information through podcats and ipod play lists. It makes any commute more exciting and helps build community! I encourage everyone to do it! I've been able to pass on some of the best things I've been listening to and thinking about, and while learning how and what other people listen to. Jam on it. In a big bad way. Building relationships builds stronger communities (this is now new) but getting inside someone's head - like listening to their podcasts or books on CD can bring you closer to what your colleagues are thinking about it. This leads to understanding. And understanding leads to stronger relationships.

Whose coming with me? The fish are coming with me!

Right. Moving right along...

I have a crush on Michael Pollan.

www.michaelpollan.com
Reading something - ANYTHING - this man writes. Its gold. It speaks to my generation, and my lovely developed part of the world that needs to hear what he's writing about. He's passionate, his writing is accessible and he cares. He keeps trying to find ways to get people to consciously think about their lifestlye. The way they EAT. They way they ACT. What they DO.

A few thoughts...

a) go onto your itunes and search "Michael Pollan" - you should find a free 47 minute podcast that University student uploaded when Mr. Pollan was invited to speak about food at a University of Berkley class related to activism. Mr. Pollan is growing activism in his very own garden, on the web, in your local book stores, in the new york times and on the radio waves...and I love it! He's an avid gardener and wants you to think about growing somethings yourself!

* I have encouraged 6 people in my life listen to this lecture and the discussions that I've participated in after listening told me that people were excited about the information Mr. Pollan presents. People get excited about what he talks about. He's talking about FOOD! And I know you eat...so this DOES mean that he's talking about things you care about. Let me know what you think after you listen or read his stuff.

b) Read "In Defense of Food" or "The Omnivore's Dilemma"

c) Read anything on Mr. Pollan's site...but MAKE SURE YOU READ the following articles:

http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=92
AND
http://www.michaelpollan.com/article.php?id=87

sigh. he's dreamy.

I think people are full of great. AND I think people should be grateful.

I think its important to reflect on things you are grateful for each day. I first was given a grateful journal in high school as a gift. I got into the habit of jotting down notes at the end of each day for things I appreciated or was grateful for each day. And I paid it forward. Just the other night I was with my friend and I asked her "What are you grateful for today?" and she said "Remember when you gave me a grateful journal when I turned 17?"...she brought out the journal I gave her - with a birthday message that was both unedited read and dreadfully late (nice to see somethings don't change) - we showed me that she filled the pages! I realized that I needed to pay it forward again!

I've handed out 5 little books to friends this week telling them that I think they are great, and that I encourage them to take the time to be grateful! Jot notes work, as do little stories. Its an awesome way to take five minutes out of the 24 hours you live, call them yours, and appreciate your experiences, interactions and connections.

Grow.

I was given 3 trees as a gift this month. They were three little trees, ready to be planted from a group of day care children. AWESOME! I then went out and got plants and dirt, and was given another 3 trees! SO...I planted three and gave away 3. Asking the new people to plant the trees as I had. I then thought...this isn't enough. So I went and got little packs of seeds. I asked friends "Do you like clean air?" and all my friends said something like "is this a rehtorical question?" or "Are you being a smartass?" And I said no! I just wondered if they did! Because I do, and I'm doing something about it. I then asked them if they wanted to do something about it. And if they agreed, I handed out the small packs of seeds and asked my friends to please plant their seeds, but to also committ to asking someone else if they liked clean air. And to see if they could convince someone else to plant a seed...and then they could plant a seed...and then eventually...the world will have cleaner air.

MAY I remind you that you started as a seed too.
And I am grateful for that.
I hope you consider being grateful for it as well.

Wear sunscreen!
See you June!

~ Hanban

No comments: